Everyone loves a free sewing pattern, especially when its as good as the Stellan tee by French Navy Now. I've made a couple of these shirts, and with its supreme drafting, detailed instructions and casual fit, it is one of my favourite top patterns out there. The fact that it is a free pattern is an absolute BONUS! After cutting out my most recent Stellan from some super soft micro Tencel jersey, I had quite a few decent size scraps left over, enough to make myself a few pairs of super soft, comfortable underwear! I haven't really delved in to the world of sewing underwear yet, but it makes so much sense to use up smaller scraps on a project like underwear, especially if the scraps are as soft as this Tencel jersey! With the joys of using a free sewing pattern still fresh in my heart, I set out to find the perfect free underwear pattern. There are so many tutorials out there on how to copy your favourite pair of underwear, or how to use up an old t-shirt, but what I really wanted was someone to do the prep work for me. What I set out to find was a free, printable, pdf pattern because sometimes, we just want to sew! Amiright?! Well, my friends, the internet did not disappoint! After weeding through dozens of free patterns, I have compiled a list of some of my favourites as well as some fun underwear sewing related resources!
2. Oh Lu Lu Celeste Panties: Bikini cut panties in sizes XS-XXL (Hip sizes 33"- 44") Features a stretch lace trim and fold over elastic top.
3. Megan Nielsen Acacia Underwear: Low rise bikini cut underwear with gusset and fully enclosed seams. Sizes XS-XL (Hip sizes 36"- 44") This pattern is free when you sign up to their newsletter!
4. Madalynn Intimates Noelle Underwear: High waisted underwear pattern in sizes XS-3XL. (Hip sizes 33"- 50") This is the pattern I used, and i would say it runs a bit big.The download doesn't actually come with any directions, but you can sign up for her classes on Creativebug (it couldn't alllll be free) Variations for a Thong and V-Back style are also available here. She also has some great underwear kits in her shop if you don't have a pile of scraps to get through!
5. Melly Sews Underwear Pattern: Bikini cut underwear in sizes XXS-3X (Hip sizes 34"- 55") This pattern is also free when you sign up to their newsletter, and has a video tutorial to go along with it.
6. So Zo Blog Undies: Low rise bikini style underwear in UK sizes 8-16. Super simple construction with fold over elastic (FOE) trim.
7. So Sew Easy Stretch Lace Boy shorts Victoria Secret style lace boy shorts in sizes XS-L (Hip sizes 32"- 43")
8. Fehr Trade Lacy Thong: Thong style underwear with lace detail. Sizes S-XL (Finished hip measurement 29.25"- 38.75")
9. Cloth Habit Rosy Ladyshorts: Pattern for stretch lace boyshorts that sit at the hip with a cute lace trim detail.This pattern can also sewn up in jersey. Sizes 0-14 (Hip sizes 32"-46")
10. Make Bra Hipster: A hipster style underwear pattern in sizes S,M,L. (Hip sizes 34.5" to 46.5") Just to note, this pattern is designed to be made with fold over elastic (or FOE) which means it is drafted without any seam allowances.
11. Paper Theory Stevie Knickers: A medium rise basic underwear pattern with good coverage in UK sizes 6-20. These are designed to be slightly higher in the back and a touch lower in the front for a flattering fit.
12. Measure Twice Cut Once Darcy Boxer Shorts: Classic boxer shorts pattern available in men's sizes XXS-XXL. (Hip measurements 32.7"- 44.6") Comes with a variation to make women's boxer shorts as well.
13. A Happy Stitch Boxer shorts: Hip hugging boxer shorts available only in one size (approximate men's medium)
14. Underwear Sewing.com: Free patterns for many different men's underwear styles including boxers and thongs. A little hard to navigate, but if you dig a little you can find some goodies!
15. Thread Faction Girls Knickers: Pattern and tutorial for girls underwear in sizes 2-10. Great way to use up even smaller scraps!
16. Shwin and Shwin Boys Boxer Briefs: Little boys boxer brief pattern only available in an approximate boys size small (or 5/6).
17. Underwear Sewing.com Boys Briefs: Pattern and tutorial for boys briefs in one size. (not specified)
Oh Lu Lu Garter Belt: A free tutorial that will walk you through how to sew a simple elastic strap garter belt with classic lace detail on the front. No pattern pices provided, but the tutorial does provide the measurements required to sew a semi-adjustable waistband in sizes XS-XXL, as well as instructions on how to sew garter straps and add lace “v” detailing.
Sophie Hines Lingerie Travel bag: A pattern for a zippered travel bag for your unmentionables, one for clean and one for laundry. Templates for the words TO WASH and TO WEAR are included in the pattern download as well!
Oh Lu Lu Lingerie Wash Bag: Pattern for a mesh bag with zipper closure to wash your delicates in.
Studio DIY Day Of The Week Embellishments: Absolutely adorable printable Day of the Week graphics to iron on to your homemade (or store bought) underwear! All you need is iron on transfer paper and a printer. So cute!
Sophie Hines Undie Ornament: The cutest tiny little pattern to make your own underwear ornaments. A great scrap buster for small trimmings and lace.
Oh Lu Lu Lingerie Supplies Checklist: A very useful downloadable checklist so you don't forget anything while shopping for lingerie supplies! I know I always forget something!
Sophie Hines Lingerie Stitch Guide: An incredibly handy little printable stitch guide to keep track of all your machine setting when sewing lingerie! So smart!
Well there you are friends! My list of some of the better FREE sewing patterns out there for making your own underwear! Now go on and check out your scap bin, and see what kind of undies you can make... (it's probably faster than doing laundry...)
Thanks for stopping by! xo M